Question: I have successfully Installed Configuration Manager 2012, with one Central Administration site and two Primary site servers. Okay, so what do I do next and where to start from?
Answer: This is well documented in the TechNet library and here is how I would prioritize a few must do things, after you install Configuration Manager 2012 site servers:
On the topmost site server in your hierarchy
- Configure Discovery Options (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427340.aspx)
- Add new boundaries (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427326.aspx)
- Create Boundary groups and assign site to a boundary group
- Make sure that your site system can publish site information to Active Directory Forest (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh696542.aspx)
- This will also required you to have AD schema extended and SCCM site server to have full rights on Systems Management Container.
- Configure Client Settings for Client Management (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427330.aspx)
- You can also create custom client settings instead of default setting to target on selected devices through collections
- To automate client installation, configure Client Push Installation settings or any other method which works for you (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712298.aspx)
- Configuring Alerts in Configuration Manager (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427334.aspx )
- Add necessary Distribution Points and Create Distribution Point groups (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427335.aspx)
- You can also assign collections to Distribution group boundaries
- Configure Site Components (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427329.aspx)
- Add new site system roles (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh272770.aspx )
- There are some roles which depend on your CM 2012 hierarchy
- e.g. if you have a CAS, Software Update Point has to be first enabled on CAS server, which will serve as a upstream server in the hierarchy to distribute Updates
- Endpoint Protection point can only be enabled on the topmost site in the hierarchy.
- Asset Intelligence synchronization point to be installed on topmost site.
- Reporting services point is also recommended to be installed on CAS
- Similarly there are other roles related to device enrollment and Application catalog which will be installed on a Primary site.
- If you only have one server, you need not worry 🙂 you can put everything on the same box!
To monitor Client Health:
10. Configure Alerts from Device collection properties (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427334.aspx)