I just wanted to make sure that anyone watching my TechNet webcast last night has all the resources they need, but before I do that I also wanted make the point that Upgrade is a simple task for many environments provided you follow the advice in the resources below:
- The deck should be on the post events page today, along with a replay of the meeting. I have also put my deck on slideshare.
- Download the Upgrade Technical Reference Guide:
- Start Using SQL Server 2008 management console to manage SQL 2000 & 2005.
- Be aware of the various deprecated features in SQL Server 2008
- Get the latest SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor. This will run on Windows XP sp2 or later
- If you need to thoroughly test your application before upgrade (for example you might be working in an ISV then get the free Upgrade Assistant from Scalability Experts.
- If you need a better DTS Migration Tool then you should look at DTSXChange
Finally if you want really cover your back, then my top tip is to use the support calls included your TechNet + subscription (you get 2 each year). Please get back to me if you haven’t got one already.