I know many DBA’s have strong opinions on the pros and cons of virtualization especially when applied to SQL Server in a production environment, but I am concerned that a lot of myth and uncertainty surrounds the topic.
If you want to find out from the experts, and form your own opinion then I would recommend coming to one of the events on the Virtualization unplugged tour:
- 11 November, Esteem, Edinburgh – Balmoral Hotel
- 14 November, ISC, Cambridgeshire – Duxford Imperial War Museum
- 17 November, SCC, Warwickshire – Heritage Motor Centre
- 19 November, Esteem, Leeds – Oulton Hall Hotel
- 21 November, Eurodata, London – IoD Hub
- 26 November, ISC, London – British Museum
- 27 November, Silversands, Reading– Microsoft Campus
- 20 January 2009, BT Lynx, Barlborough– Lynx Customer Briefing Centre
- 22 January 2009, BT Lynx, London– BT Tower
Not all of this will apply to directly to DBA’s, but it’s good to know about some of the other virtualization technologies, such as terminal services particularly if your developing and managing BI infrastructure, or have an interest in sustainable IT.