Unlike Manchester United, SQL Server 2008 is under new management. What I mean by this is that there are a load of new tools to configure, tune and audit which are essential to keep a modern database in the premiership.
While I have done a few events on this theme in the London area, the TechNet team have given me the bus fare to Manchester so that I can show all this new stuff to those unable to justify a trip south.
The event is SQL Server Under New Management on October 7th from 9:00 (registration) 12:30 to at the Manchester Regus:
3000 Aviator Way
Manchester M22 5TG
..and you can register for it here
I need to use PowerPoint to explain the way these tools fit together but I am concentrating on showing on how all this stuff works such as:
- Configuration Server allows policies and SQL to be evaluated against a group of servers.
- Policy Management allows fine grain control and audit of the state of all of the servers in the organisation.
- PowerShell support allows repetitive tasks to be scripted and integrated into other administrative tasks in Windows Server 2008.
- Resource Governor in Enterprise edition dynamically mediates workloads when the server is under pressure.
- The Performance Data Warehouse allows historical statistics to be analysed.
- Audit and the other change tracking tools provide a rich source of compliance data without adversely impacting performance.
- XEvents allow you to deep dive into what is happening to your system.
- Transparent Data Encryption and backup compression (also only in Enterprise edition)allow you to better protect your data.
So come along if you can, to learn, share and network.