Infrastructure Planning and Design guides share a common structure, including:
- Definition of the technical decision flow through the planning process.
- Listing of decisions to be made and the commonly available options and considerations.
- Relating the decisions and options to the business in terms of cost, complexity, and other characteristics.
- Framing decisions in terms of additional questions to the business to ensure a comprehensive alignment with the appropriate business landscape.
These guides complement product documentation by focusing on infrastructure design options.
Each guide leads the reader through critical infrastructure design decisions, in the appropriate order, evaluating the available options for each decision against its impact on critical characteristics of the infrastructure. The IPD Series highlights when service and infrastructure goals should be validated with the organization and provides additional questions that should be asked of service stakeholders and decision makers.
IPD consists of the following downloadable packages:
- New! Malware Response
- Updated! Remote Desktop Services
- Updated! Selecting the Right Virtualization Technology
- Updated! Windows Server Virtualization (for Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V)
- Active Directory Certificate Services
- Active Directory Domain Services
- Dynamic Datacenter
- Exchange Online—Evaluating Software-plus-Services
- File Services
- Forefront Identity Manager 2010
- Forefront Unified Access Gateway
- Internet Information Services
- IPD Series Introduction
- Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
- Print Services
- Selecting the Right NAP Architecture
- Selecting the Right Virtualization Technology
- SharePoint Online—Evaluating Software-plus-Services
- SQL Server
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1 with R2
- System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 with SP1
- System Center Operations Manager 2007
- System Center Service Manager
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008
- Terminal Services
- Windows Deployment Services
- Windows Optimized Desktop Scenarios
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services
- Windows User State Virtualization
The guides are available as individual downloads or as a single all-in-one package.