Office and Lync 2013 Public Preview (Beta 2) display corruption – white or blank content

Some video drivers seem to be rendering the content incorrectly.

Thankfully, there is an easy workaround for this, for most cases.

The telltale signs look something like this:

If your display driver version has been blacklisted (forced software rendering) by IE 9, Firefox, or Chrome, you are more likely to have this occur.

In most cases, using updated videos drivers will solve the problem.

If all else fails, run these two commands from an elevated command prompt:

reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Graphics" /v ForceClientSoftwareRendering /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Graphics" /v DisableHardwareAcceleration /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

Got it to work had to download the drivers from the oem and not lenovo's site.

I'm also having the same problem w/ a Lenovo W520 Windows 7 64-bit Nvidia Quadro 1000M 8.17.12.7658. Tied the reg edit and switching the app to use the high performance and integrated.

3. Nick D. says:

Thanks for this post. Unfortunately in my case I'm on the most recent driver AND I have applied the registry updates, to no avail. All of the other Office 2013 apps seem to work fine. Lync just won't render.

4. Chris C. says:

I'm having the same trouble on a Dell XPS 15 laptop with both integrated Intel graphics and NVIDIA high-performance graphics. I've updated the driver and have also tried applying the registry hacks above but still no joy. I have also tried explicitly starting Lync 2013 on each of the graphics processors and both produce the same result.

5. Chirs C. says:

I just downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA (rather than the Dell supplied one) and that fixed it for me too.

6. Scott B says:

Updating my NVIDIA drivers fixed it for me too. I thought I was the only one with this problem!

7. Chris C. says:

I also set the two registry settings back to a value of zero to ensure hardware acceleration is back in play. Still working!